Are there any other fees associated with signing up with Prep 1 on 1?
Prep 1 on 1 has a one-time fee of $195 to include our curriculum, mock testing, and additional administrative expenses. Our one-time enrollment fee is in addition to hourly costs for our tutors.
Am I responsible for getting any additional materials?
Prep 1 on 1 provides our customized curriculum and the necessary course materials for both the ACT and SAT prep. The client is not responsible for obtaining any other materials.
How do you select my tutor?
Part of what makes us unique is our selection process in matching our team of tutors with a student. Our priority is the student’s needs, learning preferences, and distinct personality. We also consider the student and tutor’s schedules.
What should I expect in terms of Prep 1 on 1 homework?
Practice is critical to improve your test scores and have the best possible chance of success. Students are provided with answer keys to their practice exams and homework – academic integrity is of the utmost importance. While it’s understandable that students have demanding schedules, we expect any homework assigned by our tutors will be completed before the next session. If at any time this is not feasible, the student should contact their tutor before their next appointment.
What if I need to cancel a scheduled tutoring session?
Prep 1 on 1 sends automated email reminders 48 hours in advance of each tutoring session. If you need to cancel a tutoring session, please contact your tutor directly by email, phone call, or text. Cancellations made within 24 hours or less of a scheduled appointment will result in a cancellation fee. This fee will total 100% of the tutor’s rate. However, in the case of an illness or emergency within 24 hours of the scheduled appointment, we may waive the cancellation fee.
How do I officially register to take the ACT or SAT?
Students must register directly with the CollegeBoard (SAT) and ACT websites. Be sure to pay special attention to the testing sites, registration deadlines, and score release dates. Allow 30 minutes for registration and have the student’s photo ID and a credit card handy.
If you plan to apply for testing accommodations, please contact the special testing coordinator at your child’s school.
After registration, we recommend you closely monitor the ACT or CollegeBoard website for any test day updates.
What does Prep1on1 recommend students do to prepare for test day?
Whether it be the SAT or the ACT, we recommend students do the following:
- Wake up early and shower.
- Exercise as per your routine.
- Eat a protein breakfast.
- Plan to arrive 30 minutes early to your testing location.
- Be familiar with directions to your testing destination.
- Pack 2 protein snacks for break time at your test center.
- Dress in layers, because testing centers run hot and cold.
- Bring your admission ticket with a photo ID, pencils, and a calculator with fresh batteries. We suggest the TI-84 series. For a complete list of allowable calculators, visit collegeboard.org or act.org.
- A watch is critical to help manage the time element of the test. Stopwatches and timers that “beep” are not allowed.
- Return immediately to your assigned testing room at the end of the test break, so you do not miss the start of the next section.
Prep 1 on 1 offers clients scheduled mock testing on a variety of different dates. For a list of mock testing dates, click here to view our calendar. Students must register directly with their tutors to attend a mock test.
What should I expect on the day of a mock test?
Mock tests are held (unless specified otherwise) at Cabin John Middle School. During a mock test, we do our best to simulate a real SAT or ACT testing experience. Test takers should prepare the same way they would for the actual exam.
What to bring:
- Watch, calculator, fresh batteries, pencils, cell phone, a protein snack, and water.
Standard Time Testers:
- Arrive by 8:45 AM to start promptly at 9:00 AM.
- Pickup between 12:00 PM and 12:15 PM. Students will text their rides 30 minutes before the end of the test.
Extended Time Testers (50% or Time and a Half):
- Arrive by 8:15 to start promptly at 8:30 AM.
- Pickup between 1:00 PM and 1:15 PM. Students will text their rides 30 minutes before the end of the test.